Friday, October 08, 2010

NYC -Tuesday: somebody get me a leash



Sam Weber artwork from his 3person show at Society of Illustrators: Blow Up.


New York City… New York City? Get a rope, I need a leash.

Had a 5 hour delay in Chicago to get to NYC LaGuardia… so I didn’t get to my hotel until 1:45am Tuesday Morning. Somehow they didn’t have a confirmation for the extra night of Monday night… but they gladly put me up due to open rooms. With an extra minute or two, I was in bed.

The next morning I closed out that old account from a few hours before and switched over to the regularly scheduled program. Now I had the day to explore. I planned out the most efficient walking route down to the destinations… 3 the first day. The Forum Gallery, The Wendt Gallery, and …………………. The Society of Illustrators, you may genuflect if you feel the need.

Forum Gallery: I showed up at a bad time on the calendar, they were packing to move to a new location. They were more than generous to allow me to see what was still up, the current show. It was, nice. But not travel half way across the country nice. But that is due to the new season just beginning and the gallery just packing up. No fault, just bad timing. And they were really nice people.

Wendt Gallery: These girls were the car sales force of the Art world. Hovering around wanting to know how many pieces I was interested in, and as soon as I showed interest in one piece, Man did their eyes and ears perk up… (I probably should have told them that I was not going to buy anything, but it seemed the only way to get information.)

Society of Illustrators: Very nice… very nice indeed. 3 floors. It is a smaller gallery, but full of drawings, paintings, and even a tiny little gift shop. It is smalle

r than the Kemper Museum. There were

two exhibits. One was a 3 person show, which had the final works on the main floor, then on the lower level, all of the preliminary works were displayed as well… which was a real treat. Up the stairwell, and on the Third floor…(the famous Society of Illustrators Bar) was an exhibit of Illustrators who taught. This was capped off by a 12 piece showing of Murry Tinkleman pen and Ink originals. I was in heaven.

Above the Bar, is the original Norman Rockwell painting

masterpiece of a Christmas Carriage in profile filled with passengers, and atop, a driver, horn blower, and several children all having fun. The piece is probably 3 feet high by 5 feet wide? Maybe larger.

I actually had a tonic water

at the Bar… THE BAR. I felt the entire time that somebody was going to yank me out of there in front of everybody… “You! Punk! What do you think you are doing in here?” But nobody ever did. They even chatted with me for a few words.

There were two antique book cases with ooooold illustrated classics in them. Rockwell’s version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Someone’s illustrations for the Book of Birds… A book Titled Searching for Christy, about Illustrator, Howard Chandler Christy. And tons of others.

As far as original works, I got to see an original Paul Calle pencil drawing portrait, a couple of Rockwells, a huge piece on Tale of Two Cities by Harvey Dunn, It had to have 50 characters in it all charging at each other. What power. Bob Fawcett, Dean Cornwell, James Montgomery Flagg, my mind can’t recall them all.


I was on such a high that I walked all the way back, not realizing that it was almost 3 miles back… until my body told me, Hey Stupid… this is a long hike back, and I am fat. But I made it. Bought some talcum powder, and took a nap. I awoke in time to make the hike back down there to Society of Illustrators for the Drawing sessions. Yes, with the Talcum powder applied, it made a world of difference. (and it was down hill).

Drawing night at Society of Illustrators. *see the previous two posts with the drawings for examples... I posted 6 of the drawings done at the Society open session.

Short poses: 3 minute, 5 minute, 10 minute, 15 minute, then I believe 3 twenty minute poses.

I couldn’t tell you by name the famous people that were there, but you could tell by dress, hair style, and when I walked around the room, the old timers who just flat out were brilliant. There were about 8 of them in attendance. The rest were younger students… some were also really hot stuff. By the time everybody was settled in and working, there were probably 60 people?, yes… 60 people were there. Also live jazz was played. There were 2 models. Really good, both of them. They did classical poses, but could hold them well.

I am really glad I went. By the end of the night, I had produced a couple of drawings that were ok. For the time allowed, I am happy with them.

Cabbed it back to the hotel, it was dark, I was tired, and it was uphill. Head hit the pillow, I was out.

No comments: